This month I introduce you to some anti-flu proposal for the autumn…
- Vegetables: very good those bitter for their purifying properties. Green light for radicchio, chicory, dandelion, catalogna chicory (both cooked and raw). Perfect those orange or red (carrots, pumpkin, beets) rich in beta-carotene, they help to increase the number of cells that fight infection and help eliminate free radicals. Very important are also cabbage and cauliflower for their anticancer action.
Also useful tomatoes and bell peppers for vitamin C and polyphenols, better if raw, in salad.
- Garlic and onion: garlic contains sulphur, which inhabits bacterial growth and cleans the intestine. In addition, allicine and sulphide stimulate the moltiplication of cells that help fight infections. The allicin has strong antibiotic, antimicrobal and antifungal effect. Who assumes garlic regularly, suffers 46% less of seasonal colds and heals faster.
- Honey: good ally for health. It contains substances with high bactericidal action and acts as a natural antibiotic. With the arrival of the cold weather, one teaspoon of honey in the morning, dissolved in milk, tea or coffee or spread over the bread, helps to disinfect the respiratory tract, preventing and fighting cough, colds, and sore throats.
- Fruits: particularly that rich in vitamin C like citrus fruits, which help the immune system protect us from diseases as well as strengthen the body, promoting the absorption of iron contained in plant-based foods. But also red grape and bananas rich in potassium strengthen the bones.
- Legumes: rich in iron. Lentils, beans, chickpeas and peas should be eaten every day, well cooked to be better tolerated by the intestine and with the skin, where anti-cancer substances are concentrated. Excellent soy, whose wealth in phytoestrogens defends against breast and uterine tumors.
- Dark chocolate should never e lacking in our diets as it’s able to boost a group of lymphocytes capable of improving the adaptation of our defenses to the change of infections.
- Yoghurt: rich in active lactic ferments, it’s able to improve the intestinal flora and protect it from possible bacteria.
- Spices: black pepper, ginger, cloves and cinnamon, they reactivate metabolism and facilitate the disposal of slags.
- Mushrooms: they contain beta-glucans, complex carbohydrates that improve the activity of the immune system against infections and cancer. Mushrooms are rich in selenium – which helps the white blood cells to produce cytokines (protein molecules) – and beta-glucan, an immonustimulant that activates white blood cells, responsible for the defense against infections.
- Green Tea: according to some Harvard University researchers drinking five cups of black tea a day, our immune system quadruple its strengths with teanine. It’s also advisable to assume green tea against free radicals.
So green light with seasonal foods and good run !!